It’s time to play in May! This month’s Ways to Play Every Day Activity Calendar for preschoolers focuses on several fun topics! This month’s recommended books will explore familiar themes of a farm, the toughness of a construction site, the love of a mother, and the imaginative realm of dragons. The corresponding activities will encourage young learners to explore new topics and skills as well as reinforce ones already acquired.
Ways to Play Every Day: May Activity Calendar for Preschoolers
The activity prompts on the Ways to Play Every Day May Activity Calendar can be used with preschoolers for daily learning, creativity, and exploration. This FREE May activity calendar can be used by parents in their home, childcare staff and providers, or by preschool teachers in the classroom in many different ways. Follow the May activity calendar daily for pre-planned activities based on the book list or choose activities to complete at random as a source of daily inspiration. Below you’ll find each calendar activity from the calendar, as well as links to printables, directions for activities, and book lists that you can use to supplement each one.
Week One – Farm Activities for Preschoolers
- Visit a local farm.
- Paint using the wheels of a plastic tractor.
- Give plastic farm animals a bath in a tub of soapy water.
- Roll dice and count out sheep’s wool (cotton balls).
- Make corn music shakers.
- Match plastic farm animals to the letters they begin with.
- “Plant” a vegetable garden in a sensory bin.
Farm Books for Preschoolers:
Week Two: Mother Activities for Preschoolers
- Go on a scavenger hunt to find something that starts with each letter of the word m-o-t-h-e-r.
- Draw a picture of something that moms are great at.
- Practice letter recognition with a feed the “mom”sters game.
- Tell someone that you love them – practice a Mother’s Day poem to re-tell.
- Explore different types of mothers (biological, adoptive, foster, step, etc).
- Match baby animals to their mothers.
- Do something to help a mom.
Books about Mothers for Preschoolers:
Week Three: Construction Site Activities for Preschoolers
- Create a “mud” playdough construction site to play trucks in.
- Draw a picture of a building you would like to build.
- Visit a construction site and observe all the different jobs workers do.
- Build a block structure with a friend.
- Reinforce shapes by driving on these free printable roads.
- Move like construction vehicles using these movement cards.
Construction Books for Preschoolers:
Week Four: Dragon Activities for Preschoolers
- Explore chemical reactions by “hatching” dragon eggs.
- Feed a dragon tacos with this dragon math game.
- Take turns hiding and finding a plastic dragon.
- Create a craft stick dragon head.
- Practice matching upper and lowercase letters with dragon themed cards.
- Stomp and fly around outside like a dragon.
- Create a fire breathing dragon out of a toilet paper roll.