Free Mitten-Themed Letter Matching Activity for Preschoolers!
Baby, it’s cold outside! So what better way to explore the alphabet than by using something we all need during this season…. Mittens! Let children practice upper and lowercase letter recognition using this fun mitten matching game.
Disclosure: this post and others within the blog contain affiliate, distributor, and/or sponsored links. Please see our disclosure page for more information.
- ABC Mitten Matching Printable – print here: abc mitten printable
- (laminator, laminating sheets, or clear contact paper for preserving the activity and re-use)
- Print out the mitten alphabet matching activity file. (Printing in “high quality” will allow the colors to print vibrant and true.)
- Laminate the printable for durability, if desired. This is definitely recommended if the activity is going to be used more than once or in a classroom with multiple children.
- Cut out the individual ABC mitten pieces. They can be stored in an envelope contained in a folder along with the main printable pieces to keep everything together.
- Prepare a tray or learning station at a table with the matching game pieces. (Using cafeteria trays or cookie sheets is an excellent way to present learning activities while keeping pieces contained.)
After the activity is prepped, children can be encouraged to match to lower case mitten to its corresponding uppercase card. For more advanced learners, the Uppercase pages can be used as practice in writing lower case letters by using a dry erase marker.
Incorporating books into activities is always a great way to make a literary connection. They can be read before the child does hands on learning or as a supplement in the class library/home reading bin. Here are our favorite books about mittens:
- The Mitten by Jan Brett
- Three Little Kittens
- Too Many Mittens
- The Mitten Tree
- A Mountain of Mittens
- The Mitten
- One Mitten
- Missing Mittens
In addition to this ABC mitten match game, you can:
- Match actual mittens by color or pattern
- Practice writing letters in trays of “snow” (salt or flour)
- Roll a dice and count out the corresponding number of mittens
- Arrange various sized mittens by size from small to large
Your preschoolers might also enjoy:
The Mitten by Jan Brett – extension activities for the book
Mystery Mitten Tactile Counting Game for Preschoolers
Free Snowman Color Matching Activities for Preschoolers
The WINTER, MITTENS, and SNOWMAN THEME is available right here on the blog. It’s an immediate digital download filled with playful learning activities to bring winter fun to the classroom, childcare, or at home.
About the Author:
The Preschool Toolbox is pleased to have Andie Jaye as a valued contributor. Andie is a former preschool teacher turned stay-at-home mom of 3 kiddos. Her blog, Crayon Freckles, focuses on creative learning and play ideas, as well as parenting topics. Andie strives to be honest in her approach and experiences in parenting to let other moms know that they are not alone in their struggle. In her free time, she writes children’s books in hopes of publishing someday. You can follow Andie on Pinterest or on Twitter.
Seems intuitive; I will try to have our preschool arrange this activity. Thanks for sharing