Cultural Kids – an exchange project for Fall 2012
Beginning in September, we will officially launch a “geographical experiment” for our kids! The project is an “open invitation” to all who wish to expose their children to a variety of cultures, learning activities, crafts, foods, etc.
In order to keep the project as simple as possible, all we ask (for now) is that you email us with your intent to participate. Those that choose to “opt-in” will be sent an email from us with the email addresses of others who wish to participate (once verified). Those that participate will be asked to send others a few items from a list of suggestions (you can choose to send ONE item or several). Some of those items might include (but are not limited to):
- Fact sheets
- Pictures of money or coins used in your Country
- Music/songs that are traditional/folktales
- Pictures/postcards/pictures of artifacts or historical places where you live
- Artists or artwork from your State/Country
- A picture of a coloring page the children might do
- An activity that you do with your children to introduce your own location
- Special recipes or traditional foods/food art or crafts small children might enjoy
- A picture of your Country or State Flag
- Pictures of mail and a postmark from your State or Country
- A newspaper clipping
- Pictures of tickets from an event in your location
- Pictures of animals that live in your location
- State or Country symbols (other than flags)
- An online translator (if needed) that other children might use that works best for your language
Each participant that becomes part of the email list can then decide how best to use the items from other families or classrooms (and whether to continue any correspondence). We will mark and label a world map as we introduce items from the project participants to our own children.
Over the next several months, we will be posting some of the activities that we do with our own children in sharing the items from YOUR children. Some of the participants may choose to maintain ongoing relationships with others, Skype with other classrooms, or develop activities to share with others! It should be a FUN and learning experience for all of our children!
If you are interested in participating with your own students/children: send us an email at [email protected] – SUBJECT LINE: MEET THE CHILDREN – indicating your intent to participate NO LATER than 27 August 2012. We will then send the list out to all participants by 1 September 2012 asking for items to help all of our children explore different cultures!