This November, we invite you to explore activities, tips, and crafts that will help immerse young children in opportunities to express gratitude and thankfulness. Gratitude and thankfulness are ACTIVE terms that require kids to participate in some manner. Young children that have adults around them that model good manners, common courtesy, the ability to wait for the things we want (along with some items we need), and demonstrate kindnesses grow to be children who have a good foundation to build upon. Whether you are a teacher at home or a parent with young kids, you’ll find many activities and suggestions for guiding your own children to…Thanksgiving!
1. Thankful Turkey Craft – a new twist on a cardboard Turkey craft that invites kids to think about thankfulness from The Stay at Home Educator.
2. A Family Gratitude Journal – a family’s journey toward JOY and GRATITUDE from The Mad House.
3. Thankful Turkey Coloring Page – a free printable turkey to encourage kids in thankfulness from Mama Miss.
4. Gratitude Pumpkin Craft for Kids – a great display craft for gratitude through creativity by The Joys of Boys.
5. Thankful Placemats for Kids to Make! A wonderful idea to “gift” to others on Thanksgiving from Mamas Happy Hive.
6. Thank You Notes (it’s not a lost art)! From P is for Preschooler: “Our simple act of kindness was merely to try to spread a smile and let others know we are happy to have them in our lives.”
7. Thankful Pilgrim Turkeys – simple craft for kids to make and share what they are thankful for in their daily lives from The Preschool Toolbox.
8. Thankful Bouquet: A simple idea to acknowledge kindnesses offered by kids from Fantastic Fun and Learning!
9. Daily Thankful Postcards – a great creative center idea for kids to express gratitude and thankfulness from The Good Long Road.
10. 10 Ways to Teach Your Toddler about Gratitude – great suggestions and tips for parents of young kids from Kids Yoga Stories.
11. Teaching Kids About the Power of Giving – tips for “…taking steps to intentionally cultivate a spirit of gift-giving…” by BPPhotoArt.
12. Tips for Raising Kind Kids – a wonderful post with suggestions and tips for raising our kids in kindness by Idealist Mom.
13. Tips for Parenting Children with Grateful Hearts by The Educator’s Spin On It.
14. 5 Tips for Teaching Children Gratitude: Great tips for Kids of ALL ages from Love Play and Learn.
15. Thankful Jar from Creative Family Fun – “…we made this thankful jar and the kids have been filling it with all the things that make them thankful.”
16. DIY Thank You Card to remember all the firefighters in our own communities! Great way to encourage kids and promote awareness as we come to Thanksgiving from B-Inspired Mama.
17. Gratitude Tree with coffee filter leaves – beautiful tree for helping kids THINK about what they are thankful for (makes a great decoration, too) from Crafty Moms Share!
18. A Different Version of a Gratitude Tree from Mom vs The Boys: “…great way to instill positivity in our hearts and to feel blessed.”
19. Wall of Thankful Leaves – Simple (and beautiful) leaves craft to get kids thinking about thankfulness from What Do We Do All Day.
20. Thankful Windows – Easy set-up suggestion for daily thoughtfulness from Chicken Babies.
21. Gratitude Leaves – 30 Days of Gratitude: A leaf craft for daily use throughout the month of November from Crafty Moms Share.
22. Gratitude Sensory Bin – WONDERFUL Sensory Play to Accompany the Book, Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson from Little Bins for Little Hands.
23. 15 Thankful Scriptures: Free Printable Copywork – great way to incorporate Bible studies into the month of Gratitude and Thankfulness by My Joy Filled Life.
24. Gratitude Game for Kids to Play – encourage writing skills and thoughts of gratitude with this fun game for November from Planet Smarty Pants.
25. Felt Heart Thankful Cut-Outs from P is for Preschooler – “… give a heart to show appreciation for someone, such as when they do something kind or thoughtful for us or just because we feel like it.”
26. Start Each Day with a Thankful Heart – – a great free printable for a daily thankfulness jar from Mama Miss.
27. TURKEY FRAME CRAFT and Tips for thinking about GIVING to others by The Chirping Moms.
28. 15 Gratitude Crafts that Kids Can Create for Thanksgiving – awesome ideas for the month of November from Mamas Happy Hive.
We’d love to hear from YOU, too. If you have ideas, activities, or suggestions that have helped your children experience thankfulness and gratitude in your classroom or at home, please leave us a comment and let us know!